Looking for a recipe that tastes great and will impress your kids? Look no further. Tuna boats made out of bell peppers are a great for a day by the pool or a snack after a boat ride at the lake.
This is an awesome treat for the kids. Make sure you that you dice the celery really fine. For add-ins I only used a small handful of raisins. I found that the cucumber sail was by far the toughest part of this recipe.
Using a specialty slicer might be in your best interest if you are as unskilled with a knife as I am. An alternative for the cucumber sail could be to use a pre-cut slice of cheese cut in half so that it’s a rectangle and skewer it the same way you would the cucumber.
Tuna Boat Recipe Instructions
Tuna Boat Recipe
- 7 ounces Water-packed tuna, drained
- 1/4 cup Diced celery
- 1/2 teaspoon Lemon juice
- 2-3 tablespoon Fat-free mayonnaise
- 3 Bell peppers
- 6-7 Cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 Cucumber (Hothouse or English)
- Will Vary 6-Inch wooden skewers
- In a small bowl, flake the tuna with a fork.
- Add the celery, lemon juice and mayonnaise along with any add-ins you’d like to use, and stir the mixture well. (Cover and chill the salad if you’re making the recipe in advance.)
- Additional add-ins could include diced cucumbers, celery or carrots, raisins or dried cranberries, or chopped apples.
- To create the pepper boats, core the peppers, scooping out the seeds, then slice off only the very ends of the peppers, leaving most of the natural curve intact.
- Cut each pepper lengthwise to create 2-inch wide slices, and place these slices inside up on a platter. You should get about 6 to 7 “boats” out of each medium sized bell pepper.
- To create the cucumber sails: cut about an inch off one of the cucumber’s ends, then measure and cut two 3 1/2-inch sections of cucumber.
- Using a knife or mandolin slicer, cut 12 to 14 long, thin cucumber slices (about 1/8-inch thick). Push a skewer through the top and bottom of each slice to make sails.
- To assemble, fill each bell pepper boat with tuna salad. Push the blunt end of each sail into one end of each pepper slice, topping the other end with a halved cherry tomato.
- Serve immediately.