If we’re gonna be honest, we just like how fancy saying “crème brûlée” makes us feel. But we also like how good eating this caramel crème brûlée French toast makes our stomachs feel. Together, it made for an entire morning — oh, who are we kidding — an entire day of feeling good. It may not look like anything special, but what the pictures can’t show you is the sweet smell of the caramelized brown sugar-butter base, the sharp tang of the dribbling berries, the ungodly crunch that your first bite into this French toast will elicit. Needless to say, this is going to be a staple of weekend brunch recipes from here on out.
Prepare to never eat French toast at a restaurant again without wistfully thinking of this delicacy.
caramel crème brûlée french toast recipe instructions
Yup. You read that right. Caramel. Crème brûlée. French toast. All together in one place for the first time. Your stomach will thank us.
- 6 large eggs
- 2 1/4 cups almond milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons dark beer (we used Blue Moon’s Cappuccino Oatmeal Stout)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 loaf challah bread, sliced 1 inch thick
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- In a bowl, mix eggs, milk, cream, beer, vanilla, nutmeg, and salt. Spread bread out on a large rimmed baking sheet. Pour mixture over bread, cover with plastic wrap, and let soak in the fridge overnight. Flip bread slices over about an hour before baking.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, mix brown sugar and melted butter together. Pour mixture onto another large rimmed baking sheet. Spread into an even layer.
- Transfer bread to sugared baking sheet, placing slices on top of the brown sugar mixture. Bake for 25 minutes, or until tops are lightly browned and sugar is bubbling.
- Serve immediately with the brown sugar side up.