Banana bread is a true classic comfort food. And this cream cheese frosting is the proverbial icing on the cake. So whether you are a banana bread connoisseur who swears by your great-grandmother’s recipe handed down through generations, or you simply have a surplus of bananas, we promise you will be a fan of this rendition. Bananas not your thing? We dare the most passionate of banana haters to bane this bread. Seriously, try it. Don’t make us say we told you so. ; )
Banana Bread with Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe Instructions
banana bread with cream cheese frosting recipe
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 60-65 minutes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar (or dark brown sugar)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 cups mashed bananas (about 4 large very ripe bananas)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or as needed
- Chopped pecans to sprinkle on top, optional
- Adjust the oven rack to the lower third position and preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Lightly spray a 9×5 loaf pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Using a hand-held or stand mixer, cream together the butter and brown sugar on medium speed, about 3 minutes. On medium speed, add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the yogurt, mashed bananas and vanilla on medium speed for 1 minute. Remove the bowl from the mixer if using a stand mixer. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon together until combined. Using a large spoon or rubber spatula, slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Slowly stir everything together until no more flour pockets remain. Do not overmix. Fold in the pecans.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 60-65 minutes, loosely covering the bread with aluminum foil at the 30 minute mark. This will prevent the top and sides from getting too brown. A toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf will come out clean when the bread is done. Remove from the oven and allow the bread to cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Make the frosting: beat the softened cream cheese and butter together on medium speed for 2-3 minutes until soft, creamy, and combined thoroughly. Add powdered sugar and beat until thick and combined. Add milk and beat on medium speed for 2 more minutes. Add more powdered sugar until desired thickness is reached. Add salt to taste. I add a quick shake of salt to cut the sweetness.
- Spread the frosting on the cooled banana bread. There may be some frosting leftover depending how thick you layer it on top. Sprinkle with additional pecans, if desired.