This hash brown recipe produces sweet potatoes cooked to perfection, thanks to the combined method of both steaming and frying them on the stovetop. This dish is also paleo-approved, and the perfect side to a variety of dishes!
Prep and serve with these bowls.
caramelized sweet potato and apple hash brown recipe instructions
Yield: 4 servings
Total Time: 25 Minutes
This paleo-friendly breakfast side dish is the perfect combination of sweet and savory!
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 large pink lady apples, diced (peeling optional)
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp ghee or coconut oil – separated
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Heat a large, seasoned cast iron pan over medium heat and add 2 tbsp of the ghee
- Once the pan is heated, add the diced sweet potatoes and sprinkle evenly with the sea salt and stir to coat the potatoes with the cooking fat and salt.
- Cover the pan, using any cover that is large enough, for approximately 2 minutes. Uncover and stir, lower the heat a bit if the potatoes are starting to brown too much. Recover and cook for another 2-4 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
- Uncover the pan and continue to cook, stirring, until the potatoes are light brown all over.
- Add the diced apples plus the 2 tsp ghee and stir to combine.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for another 5 minutes or until the apples and potatoes are brown.
- Once apples and potatoes are browned, remove from heat and stir in the cinnamon