This vegan version of pulled pork barbecue is chewy, delicious, and healthy. You don’t have to be vegan to bite into and enjoy this tasty and hearty sandwich. Homemade barbecue sauce, seasoned to satisfy your personal palate, makes it a perfect spring meal you must try. Carrots are fabulous when they are shredded and transformed into a barbecue delight. Their bright color and sweetness blossoms in a spicy barbecue sauce. As the vegetables roast, your kitchen is filled with their savory aroma.
Vegan BBQ – “Pulled Pork” Instructions
vegan bbq – “pulled pork” recipe
- 5 large carrots, unpeeled, scrubbed
- 1 large red onion
- Garlic Powder
- Onion pwder
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced radicchio
- Whole wheat buns
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons flavored sea salt (your choice of flavor)
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar or your choice of flavor
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1-2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce or pepper sauce to taste
- Shred carrots with a shredder or food processor. Lay them evenly on parchment or aluminum foil covered baking sheet.
- Slice the red onion as thinly as possible and spread over the carrots. Sparsely drizzle olive oil over all. Shake gently to coat evenly.
- Cover the pan with foil and roast in a preheated 375 degree oven for 30 minutes. Check every 10 minutes and shake the vegetables so they roast evenly.
- While the vegetables roast, mix the sauce ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a simmer. Taste the sauce to see if it is seasoned to your taste. If it is not spicy enough, add some hot pepper sauce.
- When the carrots and onions are done, add them to the sauce and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Spoon the vegetable sauce onto the bottom half of a whole wheat bun. Top the sauce with thinly sliced radicchio. Garnish with cilantro. Yummy!