July is known as National Ice Cream Month but also a month where the California city of Gilroy celebrates the almighty Garlic. What better way to celebrate both events during the same month by making Garlic-flavored Ice Cream?
You may be thinking Garlic Ice cream is “gross” but surprisingly after creating it at home…its actually “not that bad”. It’s not a flavor you can go out to the grocery store and grab off the shelf, you have to make this one at home or travel to Gilroy California during the hot July summer month for their annual Garlic festival, where you get to taste it for free.
Garlic Ice cream is actually a mixture of a simple vanilla ice cream flavor with a touch of garlic cloves added during the heating process.
You start off by putting the milk, minced garlic, vanilla pods and seeds in a saucepan and bring to a boil on your stovetop. Once it starts bubbling a little remove it from the stove.
In a mixing bowl prepare the egg yolks. The easiest method for me to separate the yolk from the egg was to simply crack the egg and pass the yolk between the two cracked shells.
Whisk the yolks, sugar and cream together in the bowl until it comes out nice and smooth.
You then want to slowly strain the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture. Be sure to pour slowly to temper the eggs a bit (you do not want scrambled eggs in your ice cream). The strainer will also catch any big chunks of garlic or vanilla pod.
Return the mixture back to the pan and be sure to stir continuously. You will see the mixture thicken in about 11 minutes. Be sure not to boil this mixture!
After the mixture is thick enough and coats the back of your spoon, transfer to a container and chill the mixture (about 6 hours in the fridge).
Once the mixture is properly chilled, follow your Ice Cream maker’s directions. Watch it do its magic!
Once the Ice cream reaches to a soft consistency and increases in volume, transfer to a freezer-safe container and place in the freezer. I recommend waiting for at least 2-3 hours in the freezer before serving.
Now comes the fun part serving your Ice Cream while watching the faces of your guests!
Garlic Ice Cream Recipe
garlic ice cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 clove, minced garlic
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- Combine milk, garlic, vanilla pod and seeds into a saucepan over medium heat. Once the mixture starts boiling go ahead and remove it immediately.
- Place 8 egg yolks in a mixing bowl, add the cream and sugar and whisk until well combined.
- Slowly temper the egg mixture with the hot milk mixture by adding ¼ cup at a time over a strainer
- Add the mixture back into the pan and make sure to keep stirring over low heat until the mixture thickens in about 10-12 minutes (it is imperative not to boil the mixture)
- Pour into a bowl and chill the mixture for 6 hours in the fridge
- Once mixture is cooled, pour into ice cream machine (be sure to follow the manufacturer’s directions)