An important element of any type of guacamole is a pleasing texture. Begin with perfectly ripe avocados that are silky and smooth when mashed, and then add some interest for your palate with the addition of another flawless avocado chopped into delicious chunky pieces. If an avocado is mushed too much it takes on the consistency you would feed an infant, great for babies, however as adults, our taste yearns for something more engaging and flavorful.
The key to this recipe is perfectly ripe avocados with no dark spots or signs of pulling away from the skin. When pressed with a finger, they will feel very slightly soft. If there are no perfectly ripe ones, choose three that are still unripe or hard to the touch. They will ripen nicely on your counter in two or three days.>
Most guacamole recipes call for onion of some sort. This recipe uses green onions which have been allowed to sit in lime juice for 30 minutes to defuse their sharp taste a bit. A little pinch of your favorite seasoned salt yields a delicious guacamole filled with avocado flavor and nutrition.
Do not prepare this dip more than a day in advance to avoid discoloration. Refrigerate it after wrapping it in plastic wrap. Touching the surface of your guacamole with the plastic wrap will keep it fresh looking for a day or less.
Fresh Guacamole Recipe Instructions
fresh guacamole recipe
- 2 green onions slice thinly, greens in a separate bowl from the white portions
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped and seeded
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 perfectly ripe avocados
- 3 tablepoons chopped cilantro leaves
- A dash of your favorite seasoned salt
- Mix the sliced green onions with the chopped jalapeno and lime juice in a medium size bowl and let them sit for 30 minutes.
- Mash two of the avocados into the bowl of onions, jalapeno and lime juice until they are mostly smooth with pieces no larger than small peas. Carefully fold in the last avocado after it has been cut into small pieces. Add the lime zest, cilantro, and seasoned salt until all ingredients are evenly mixed.
- Enjoy with salted corn chips, vegetable pieces, or on toast rounds.