Chicken Parmesan is hearty, substantial meal which is easily prepared. However, too often chicken Parmesan can become soggy and greasy. To remedy this unpleasant feature, this recipe separates the breading from the chicken using it as a topping rather than a breading. It is also a super nutritious and quick meal to assemble after a long day at work. It requires only one pan and in about 30 minutes you are ready to serve a gooey-good, cheesy meal.
Chicken Parmesan Recipe Instructions
Chicken Parmesan Recipe
- 2 slices whole grain seeded bread, torn into small pieces and pulsed in a food processor to the texture of coarse crumbs
- 5 Tablespoons olive oil, preferably roasted garlic olive oil. (Save 2 Tablespoons for browning chicken cutlets.)
- 1 1/2 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 pounds of thin sliced, boneless chicken cutlets
- Seasoning salt of your choice
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded provolone, preferably sharp for more flavor
- Brown the bread crumbs in a large nonstick skillet for about 5 minutes. Move them to a medium Zak confetti bowl and mix them with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, ¼ cup pf the Parmesan and half of the chopped fresh basil.
- In another bowl, stir the tomatoes, the last of the basil, and the garlic together. Salt and pepper as needed.
- Season the chicken with a seasoning salt of your choice, and coat the cutlets with flour. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in the skillet over medium high heat. Add the cutlets and brown them on both sides. This should take about 5 minutes. You may need to do this in two steps if your pan is not able to accommodate all the cutlets at one time.
- Over medium low heat, cover the even layered cutlets with the tomato sauce mixture. Scatter the mozzarella, provolone, and remaining Parmesan cheese evenly over the chicken. Cover with a lid and cook for about 5 minutes and until the cheeses are melted. Sprinkle with the herbed bread crumbs and serve in the skillet.