The slider is all the rage these days and with good reason. They are fairly simple to make and you can eat three of them instead of one large burger, which is somehow more fun.
It’s rare to see a chicken slider though. I think this is because the chicken can easily dry out if it’s in small pieces. This recipe completely solves that problem by grilling the chicken first and then baking it in a rich BBQ sauce. It keeps the chicken really moist and perfect for a sloppy slider snack.
It’s important to grill or sear the chicken before cooking it in the BBQ sauce because it adds a level of flavor to the chicken and also seals in the juices.
I recommend using chicken breasts for these sliders and unfortunately chicken breasts are all different thicknesses. I recommend slicing the chicken breasts in half horizontally so they are a more even thickness and then toss them with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
Grill the chicken breasts on high heat until they are cooked through, about 4 minutes per side.
Once the chicken is cooked, you can get the BBQ dish ready. Start by putting down a layer of thinly sliced red onions with a drizzle of apple cider vinegar.
When the chicken is cooked, cut each breast into quarters and then layer the quarters in the dish on top of the onions
After that, pour BBQ sauce on the whole thing. I just used my favorite store brand of BBQ sauce. You can go heavy on it for sure. Bake the dish for 10 minutes or so at 350 degrees so the chicken stays tender and blends with the BBQ flavors. Alternatively, if you are having a party or something, you could layer this stuff in a slow cooker and keep it on low. People could serve themselves!
Besides the chicken, I recommend a few other toppings for the sliders like some cheese and a quick cabbage slaw. For cheese, I used a smoked cheddar and the slaw couldn’t be simpler to make. Just toss some shredded cabbage with apple cider vinegar and a pinch of salt and sugar.
If you have the time, it’s also a good idea to toast the buns a bit so they get crispy. You can also melt the cheese on the buns at the same time!
Then just assemble the sliders and chow down! Serve it up on a bright Zak plate for a added touch of color.
BBQ Chicken Sliders Recipe
BBQ Chicken Sliders
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 12 sliders
- 3 chicken breasts, quartered
- 2 cups BBQ sauce
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Slider buns
- Cheddar Cheese
- Green slaw (3 cups slaw 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar pinch of salt and sugar)
- Pickles (optional)
- Chips, on the side
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and heat a grill or large skillet to high heat. Slice chicken breasts in half horizontally so they are thin. Toss chicken with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill chicken on high heat for about 4 minutes per side until chicken is cooked through.
- In an 8×8 baking dish, put a layer of red onions in the bottom and sprinkle the onions with apple cider vinegar.
- When chicken is done grilling, cut each large breast into quarters and layer them on top of the onions in the baking dish.
- Pour BBQ sauce over chicken and bake the dish for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make slaw if your using it by tossing shredded cabbage with vinegar, a pinch of salt, and a pinch of sugar.
- Lay out slider rolls on a baking sheet and toast for a few minutes. Top with cheese if you’re using it.
- Assemble sliders with a piece of chicken in each roll, topped with the cooked red onions, a spoonful of BBQ sauce, and cabbage slaw. Serve these immediately!