For a truly unique and tasty potato salad, try combining curly kale and roasted Yukon Gold potatoes. Popular for a reason, one cup of bright green Kale provides a daily dose of vitamins A, K, and C. It also offers cancer and heart disease fighting nutrients.
Yukon Gold potatoes are endowed with a lovely golden flesh and a thin eyeless skin which make them a great potato salad choice especially when roasted to perfection. When these two ingredients are adorned with Gorgonzola cheese, asparagus, and toasted walnuts, you have a mouthwatering salad worthy of a special occasion. This salad is served at room temperature and can be made ahead of time so there is no last minute scramble when it is time to serve.
Yukon Gold Curly Kale Salad Recipe Instructions
Yukon Gold Curly Kale Salad Recipe
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into eighths
- 1/2 cup olive oiil, divided
- 2 shallots, divided in half and sliced
- 3/4 pounds asparagus, trimmed and sliced diagaonally into 1” chunks
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 cup fat free plain Greek yogurt
- Sea salt, fresh ground pepper and sugar to taste
- 1 large bunch curly kale with spines and tough parts removed
- 1/2 cup fresh green onions, chopped coarsely
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts (put the walnut pieces in the oven during the last 10 minutes while the asparagus roasts
- Gorgonzola cheese garnish to your taste
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
- Red sprinkles
- Set the oven temperature to 450 degrees. Place the oven rack in the top half of the oven. Coat the potatoes with olive oil (about 2 tablespoons). Half one of the shallots and slice it thinly. Spread the shallots evenly over the potatoes on a baking pan and salt and pepper to taste. Roast for 20 minutes. Then add the asparagus and roast for 10 more minutes. Potatoes will be golden and tender.
- To make the dressing, puree the olive oil that is left with the remaining shallot (diced), vinegar and yogurt. Season with salt, sugar, and pepper.
- While the potatoes, kale and asparagus roast, heat 1 inch of water to boiling in a large pot. Add the curly kale and cook for 1 minute. Continually toss with tongs until kale is bright green and slightly wilted. Drain the kale and combine with the roasted veggies. Toss with the dressing and garnish with walnuts and gorgonzola.