Here is a daring and delicious butternut squash soup to serve in Zak’s marvelous Superhero ceramic mugs. The cold weather is here, and a nice warm soup is a valiant way to fearlessly confront old man winter. Encourage your amazing superhuman self to emerge by cooking this tasty and nutritious soup.
For convenience, the squash can be roasted ahead of time and cooled at room temperature. If making ahead, cover and refrigerate the roasted squash until you want to make the soup. Any extra squash can be refrigerated and used for another meal. The soup can also be prepared, refrigerated and reheated later.
!!! PLACE IMAGE !!! : 1_2016_01_butternut_squash_soup_whole.jpg
!!! PLACE IMAGE !!! : 2_2016_01_butternut_squash_soup_halved.jpg
!!! PLACE IMAGE !!! : 3_2016_01_butternut_squash_soup_seeded.jpg
!!! PLACE IMAGE !!! : 4_2016_01_butternut_squash_soup_oven_ready.jpg
!!! PLACE IMAGE !!! : 5_2016_01_butternut_squash_soup_baked.jpg
!!! PLACE IMAGE !!! : 6_2016_01_butternut_squash_soup__bluebowl.jpg
Superhero Soup a Butternut Squash Recipe Instructions
Superhero Soup a Butternut Squash Recipe
!!! PLACE IMAGE !!! : 7_2016_01_butternut_squash_soup_google.png
- 4 cups roasted butternut squash (1 large squash)
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
- 3 cups quality chicken stock
- pinch cinnamon
- 1/4 cup real maple syrup
- 1/4 cup milk or cream
- To roast the squash, preheat the oven to 375° F. After cutting the squash in half lengthwise, remove the seeds and stringy flesh. This particular type of squash can be a challenge to cut, but I suggest sitting it on its wide end and slicing from top to bottom after removing the stem. Fortunately all the seeds are in the bottom portion. Lay the squash flat side down on a foil covered baking sheet so it is completely level. This allows the squash to caramelize to develop its finest flavor. Roast for 55-60 minutes or until very soft when you pressed on the top.
- Remove from oven and flip the squash halves over. After the roasted squash has cooled a few minutes, scoop all the flesh out and in to a bowl. Discard the squash skins. If making the soup immediately, measure out 4 cups and set aside.
- In a large soup pot, melt 2 Tbsp. butter over medium heat. Add diced onion and sauté until the diced onion has softened and is transparent.
- Stir in the 4 cups of roasted squash and continue stirring while slowly adding the chicken broth. Bring to a light boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Simmer, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes over medium-low heat to blend the flavors. Puree the soup just enough to remove any big chunks. An immersion blender works well, or small batches in a conventional blender. Perfect smoothness isn’t necessary. Back in the pot (still over medium-low heat) add the pinch of cinnamon, the maple syrup and the milk or cream. Combine well.
- Use your superhuman powers to taste the soup and add salt and freshly ground pepper if needed. Garnish with some chopped parsley, toasted pecans or roasted, shelled, pumpkin seeds.
- Have fun sipping this yummy soup from a unique Zak! Superhero ceramic mug. Marvelous!