It is the time of year to celebrate our good fortune of being American. What is more a symbol of Americans having fun than the hot dog? Any choice of dog will do. I chose a cheesy beef dog, but check your supermarket. There is an abundance of choices…sausage, turkey, soy, chicken, apple smoked and so many more. This recipe simply wraps the ubiquitous dog in a stripe of dough and makes it a star.
Stars and Stripes Hot Dog Recipe Instructions
Stars and Stripes Hot Dog Recipe
- 1 package of your choice of hot dogs
- 1 roll of refrigerated cresecent roll dough
- Cheddar cheese slice
- Roll the crescent roll dough into flat rectangles. With a knife, cut the rectangles lengthwise into strips.
- Carefully wrap the dough strips around the hot dogs. Place them on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.
- While the dogs are baking, cut out small cheese stars and skewer them on toothpicks. (I raided my grandchildren’s play dough tools for the star cutter.) Your kids may enjoy the cutting and skewering the stars.
- When the dogs are baked insert the stars and serve with plenty of ketchup.