Sloppy Joes are juicy, wonderful sandwiches which overflow their buns with tomato saucy goodness accented with Worcestershire sauce and spices. They are great for an informal meal outdoors or on a cozy winter evening. Popular with kids and grownups alike, they are nutritious and filling. Their “sloppiness” calls for extra napkins and lots of finger licking. Allow yourself to get messy and enjoy this sandwich with all your senses.
See how great these Sloppy Joes look on our Star Wars dinner plates!
Sloppy Joe Recipe Instructions
Sloppy Joe Recipe
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound mild Italian sausage
- 1/4 large onion
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup salsa of your choice (ketchup may also be used)
- 2 cloves garlic crushed and diced
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle flakes
- Pepper sauce to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Whole wheat seedy hamburger buns (Dave’s Million Dollar buns are my favorite)
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- Brown the ground beef and Italian sausage over medium high heat.
- Add the green pepper, onion, and garlic. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer uncovered over low heat for 20 minutes.
- You may wish to toast the buns and butter them. Top the bottom bun with Sloppy Joe sauce and cover with the top of the bun. Lean over your plate and enjoy! This sandwich pairs nicely with a green salad or crunchy vegetables on the side.