Looking for a fun recipe that will please your hungry kiddos? This is it. You know you’ve impressed the family when they aren’t even finished eating and are already asking when you’ll be making that meal again.
This is a super easy recipe using crushed barbecue potato chips for the crust and is healthy because these juicy drumsticks are baked in the oven, not fried.
Start out by adding the chicken to a large bowl, pour a 1/2 quart of buttermilk over and season with salt, pepper and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight. I like to do this in the morning, pop in the fridge and let the chicken tenderize all day.
Crush 7 ounces of your favorite potato chips. I used Trader Joes Hickory Barbecue Potato Chips for this recipe and the flavor was great. Add in the flour, salt and pepper and toss with your hands to combine. Set aside.
Tap off excess buttermilk, then roll the drumsticks in the potato chip mixture, pressing lightly to coat. Place them on a wire rack coated with cooking spray, set over a rimmed baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining chicken. Spray the chicken lightly with cooking spray and bake at 375 for 40-45 minutes, or until the chicken juice runs clear when pierced. Serve immediately.
Oven-Fried Potato Chip Chicken Recipe Instructions
Potato Chip Oven-Fried Chicken Recipe
This is a super easy recipe using crushed barbecue potato chips for the crust and is healthier because these juicy drumsticks are baked in the oven, not fried.
Prep Time:20 minutes
Cook Time:45 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoons black pepper
- large pinch red pepper flakes
- 7 ounces barbecue flavored potato chips, crushed
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large bowl, add the chicken pieces, buttermilk, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper and large pinch red pepper flakes. Stir to coat chicken. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour. Several hours is best for moist chicken.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place a wire rack on top of a rimmed baking sheet. Spray liberally with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a glass pie plate, crush the potato chips until they are no larger than an inch diameter. Add the all purpose flour, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Toss to combine.
- Tap excess buttermilk off of the drumstick, roll in the chip mixture, pressing lightly to adhere. Place on prepared wire rack and repeat with remaining drumsticks. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until juices run clear when pierced with a knife. Serve immediately.