What do you think is the best part of an Oreo? What about those snacks with cheese spread between flaky, buttery crackers? Or those bright orange crackers with peanut butter in the middle?
In the past, I was often offered well licked, slightly soggy crackers and ate them with relish because they were gifts from my four year old granddaughter. I was flattered and proud that my very own daughter had instilled the virtue of sharing and caring in her child at such a young age. This child was big hearted, considerate and sensitive. In addition, she regularly offered me her naked cupcakes which had minutes ago been slathered in creamy, sweet frosting. I was clinging to the idea that I had an emotionally gifted prodigy of social awareness and empathy.
One summer weekend my family and I were gathered around a campfire roasting marshmallows for s’mores. Soon, sweet little Charlotte comes to sit by me with her denuded graham crackers glistening with saliva and sprinkled lightly with sand. They were for me! How special. I questioned, “Why don’t you eat your crackers?” “I only like the middle,” was her answer. The light switched on! So many damp, mushy offerings flashed before my eyes.
I have now found the perfect snack to foil the “middle of the Oreo” person in your life. The middle is everything in these tasty little bites of peanut buttery goodness. They are nutritious and energy packed as well as easy and quick. Colorful, casual Zak! dishes are the perfect way to serve them.
No Bake Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe Instructions
no bake peanut butter cookies recipe
- 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
- 2 Tablespoons ground flaxseed with an extra 1/4 cup ground flaxseed to roll the formed balls in
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, raisins or dates
- 1 cup instant oatmeal
- 1/2 cup chunky applesauce or a small apple roughly chopped
- Put all ingredients into a food processor and pulse until the ingredients stick together well.
- Take teaspoonfuls of the dough and form balls.
- Coat the balls in the extra ground flax seed.
- Leftovers store well in the refrigerator.