When we first tried this recipe, let us tell you… We were blown away. We’d had popovers before, sure, but nothing like these ones. They are the perfect combination of chewy and crisp, flaky and moist, savory and tangy — yes, they’re quite close to perfection. Can’t take the anticipation anymore? We don’t blame you. So let’s hop straight to it and get to baking these beauties!
(Yeah, we know. We want to eat them right now, too.)
melt in your mouth popovers recipe
If you think that cheese + bread = brb, drooling, you need to check out this super simple recipe!
- 4 cups milk
- 8 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 heaping tablespoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups grated gruyere cheese
- Muffin tin
- Place muffin tin in the oven and preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Gently warm the milk over low heat and set aside. Whisk eggs until frothy and slowly add in the warm milk. Set mixture aside.
- Sift the flour with the salt. Slowly combine the two mixtures until smooth.
- Remove the tin from the oven and spray with vegetable spray. Fill each cup ¾ full. Top each popover with a hearty amount of gruyere cheese.
- Bake for 50 minutes — rotating pan half a turn after 15 minutes in the oven.
- Serve immediately and begin to have faith in humanity again.