Using the right ground turkey meat is crucial to these patties which are dark and crusty on the outside and moist and succulent inside. Choose lean, 7 percent fat ground turkey. Ricotta cheese boosts the flavor of these patties and is so easy to use. Worcestershire sauce and Dijon mustard add extra tang.
For health reasons turkey has to be well cooked. It has to be cooked until the inside measures 160 degrees. Browning the patties in a heavy bottomed skillet, (preferably cast iron or stainless steel with an aluminum core) until they are browned and then cooking them for additional time in a partially covered pan produces a wonderful, deeply browned, tasty ground turkey patty. Enclose it in a bun of your choice for a delectable turkey burger.
Ground Turkey Burgers Recipe Instructions
Ground Turkey Burgers Recipe
- 1 lb ground turkey (93% lean)
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- A dash of Tabasco if desired
- 1-2 Tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- With your fingers mix all the ingredients except the oil. Form four approximately equal sized meat balls and lightly flatten them with your large Zak happy face spoon or the ball of your hand to make 1 inch thick meat patties.
- In a heavy skillet, add the oil and heat it until it shimmers and covers the bottom. Place the patties in the hot oil and cook them without turning them for 3 to 4 minutes. Turn them over and they should be dark brown and crispy on the surface. Continue to cook them for another 3 to 4 minutes. Lower the heat as low as possible and continue cooking them with a lid that is slightly ajar allowing the steam to escape. When they are thoroughly cooked, the center should measure 160 degrees on a thermometer.g powder, and salt.
- Serve immediately alone or on a bun as you would a hamburger. This is a yummy alternative to a ground beef burger.