Spinach Kale Pie Recipe
Pie for dinner? I don’t know if that is OK. Of course it is! This “pie” is full of goodness and healthful nutrients. On top of that, your child might actually eat it. Two green leafy superstars, kale and spinach combine with three cheeses to make a delectable dish your child will ask for again and again.
Spinach and Kale Pie Recipe Instructions
spinach and kale pie recipe
Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 3+ tablespoons olive oil (extra for drizzling)
- 1 medium yellow or sweet onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 package (about 5 ounces) spinach and kale mix
- seasoning salt to taste
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 1/2 cup ricotta or cottage cheese
- 1 cup feta cheese in small chunks
- 1/3+ cup parmesan cheese(extra for sprinkling)
- 1 pie crust (homemade or store prepared)
- Saute the onion over medium heat in olive oil until it is transparent.
- Add the garlic, seasoning salt and greens until they become limp. This should take about 5 minutes..
- In a medium Zak Sprinkles bowl, stir the egg and cheeses. Add the spinach and kale, stirring to mix.
- While the oven is heating to 375 degree oven, place a round of pie dough in a pie pan.
- Spoon the filling into the center of the dough round. Fold about ½ inch of the edge of the dough toward the center and make a fluted edge. Sprinkle with extra parmesan and drizzle extra olive oil.
- Bake for 45 minutes on the center rack of the oven. The crust will be golden. Cool the pie for 15 minutes before serving.
This post was contributed by Becky Palmer
Becky Palmer, a recently retired teacher, spent 30 years teaching and has a Masters in Education from Gonzaga University. Currently, Becky enjoys time with her 9 grandchildren and lives in Spokane, WA.