Orange Chicken Recipe
Who doesn’t love Panda Express? If you want to make your Panda Express go-to order from the comfort of your own home, this copycat recipe is for you! Orange chicken made from scratch tastes so delicious that you may find yourself opting to make this recipe from home, rather than frequenting the fast food chain in the future! But don’t take our word for it - try this recipe for yourself! We paired this dish with a heaping helping of roasted vegetables. After all, veggies cancel out the fried food aspect of this recipe - right?
Of course, now that you’ve moved on from ordering takeout, disposable plates and paper boxes don’t quite cut it anymore. Set the mood with beautiful bamboo dinnerware—the Moso Bamboo dinnerware line is made from eco-friendly materials, with an organic design to match. Available in a variety of colors, these dishes are the perfect mix of classic and contemporary, a great choice for serving up this North American addition to traditional Chinese cooking.
Orange Chicken Recipe Instructions
If you want to make your Panda Express go-to order from the comfort of your own home, this copycat recipe is for you!
- 2 lb boneless , skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1” pieces
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 2 tbsp oil , divided, plus more for frying
- 1/2 cup corn starch , plus 1 tbsp
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ginger root , minced
- 2 teaspoons garlic , minced
- 1/2 tsp hot red chili pepper , crushed
- 4 green onions , chopped from tip to tail (not including root)
- 2 tablespoons Shaoxing rice wine
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons water
- 10 tablespoons sugar
- 10 tablespoons white vinegar
- zest of 2 oranges
- To make the sauce combine the soy sauce, 3 tablespoons water, sesame oil, sugar, white vinegar, and orange zest.
- To make the cornstarch mixture, dissolve 1 tablespoon cornstarch in 1/4 cup water and set aside.
- To dredge the chicken, add the egg, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon oil into a bowl and whisk together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, add 1/2 cup corn starch and flour and mix well.
- In a large frying pan or a wok, heat oil 375 degrees.
- Dip chicken pieces in the egg mixture, then dredge in the flour mixture.
- Fry the chicken for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and repeat with remaining chicken.
- When you are done with the chicken, drain the oil from the pan and wipe it clean.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil, ginger and garlic and cook for about 10 seconds.
- Add crushed red peppers and green onions, and cook for just a few seconds.
- Add rice wine and orange sauce and bring to boil.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the pan and cook for just a few seconds until it thickens.
- Turn off the heat, and add cooked chicken and stir until well mixed.