Old Fashioned Sugar Cookies Recipe
It has been downright chilly out and this kind of weather makes me want to curl up with a glass of hot cocoa and a plate of cookies. Whenever I bake cookies, I enlist my kids to help. Who am I kidding? I can’t keep them away from the kitchen. They know that helping to bake means they get to help eat, too. I am glad to have the company because they actually are helpful, and baking together is a fabulously easy way to create memories.
We recently received the The Tiny Chef box which contains everything you need to have a memory-making experience with your child. Included is a child’s rolling pin and spatula, prep bowls, a cookie cutter, and a book full of recipes to try out. We decided to use the set to help us with our favorite cookie recipe.
Each activity set comes with a booklet which include tips & recipes. These days you’ll find all kinds of cookie recipes out there, but to me, there are few things better than old fashioned sugar cookies. Because they are basic, sugar cookies are a great first recipe to try with children.
Roll out dough to 1/2 inch thickness on a work surface dusted with powdered sugar. Our Tiny Chef set came with an airplane cookie cutter. My kids will be traveling on an airplane soon, so they were quite interested in making plane cookies.
If you are using a cookie cutter, cut shapes from dough or roll into small balls to make round cookies. Once the sugar cookies were baked, the kids were able to decorate them in any way they wanted. The first thing we did was spread frosting on the cookies. If you really want your cookie to look like an airplane you can add some small candies.
Feel free to use sprinkles to decorate your cookies! Using the same batch of dough, I made some round old fashioned sugar cookies as well. To do that I just rolled 1 1/2 inch balls of the dough and dropped them onto a cookie sheet. The cookies, of course, turned out great. The edges were crunchy and the middles were soft, just the way I like them. They are the perfect treat to enjoy with your little ones on a cold day.
Old Fashioned Sugar Cookies Recipe Instructions
old fashioned sugar cookies
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Yield: Approximately 2 dozen cookies Recipe
- 3/4 cup of butter, softened
- 1 cup of white sugar and 1 cup of confectioner’s sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups of flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Confectioner’s sugar for dusting
- Sprinkles and small decorating candies
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Mix in eggs and vanilla..
- Stir in dry ingredients until a dough forms.
- Roll out dough to 1/2 inch thickness on a work surface dusted with powdered sugar.
- If you are using a cookie cutter, cut shapes from dough or roll into small balls to make round cookies.
- Place cookies on a greased cookie sheet and bake for 6-8 minutes.
- When cookies have cooled, decorate with frosting and sprinkles or other small candies
This post was contributed by Mess for Less
Vicky has spent 10 years teaching and has a Masters in Early Childhood Education. Currently, vicky is a stay at home mom to three girls, 4 year old twins and a 3 year old. She uses her educational background to create activities that foster learning and fu