Minion Sheet Cake Recipe
What better way to celebrate our favorite characters than to make a cake in their honor? As the release date of Minions gets closer and closer, we have been brainstorming food ideas for our party - and we found the perfect fit! This Minion cake is cute, fun to make and an easy way to feel like a champion in the kitchen. Complete with licorice pants, peppermint patty eyes and chocolatey buttons - who wouldn’t want this at their next Minion party?
Minion Sheet Cake Recipe Instructions
minion sheet cake recipe
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours and 30 minutes
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- Water, butter and eggs called for in cake mix
- 1 container whipped cream frosting
- Yellow food color
- 1 tube blue decorating icing
- 7 pieces black string licorice
- 1 chocolate-covered peppermint patty
- 3 milk chocolate candy drops or pieces
- 5 pieces (1 inch in diameter) chewy chocolate candies
- 1 teaspoon corn syrup
- 1 ounce silver decorating sugar
- Black decorating icing
- Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pans). Line large cookie sheet with cooking parchment paper or waxed paper. Spray bottom only of 13x9-inch pan with baking spray.
- Make and bake cake mix as directed on box, using water, butter and eggs. Cool 10 minutes in pan on cooling rack. Turn cake out onto paper-lined cookie sheet. Cool completely for about 1 hour.
- With serrated knife, trim off square corners of cake, creating oblong shape. Trim 1 side flat to make bottom of cake.
- Mix frosting and yellow food coloring. Frost cake with thin coat of yellow frosting. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Remove cake from refrigerator. Frost cake with final coating of yellow frosting. Refrigerate until frosting is firm, about 15 minutes.
- Use off-set spatula to make an upward curving line in frosting about 4 inches from bottom of cake for the pants of the Minion.
- Place blue decorating icing in small bowl; stir until smooth. Frost bottom (including bottom edges) of cake with blue icing up to curved line. Use 1 licorice string to cover line. Refrigerate cake 30 to 45 minutes.
- For eye, frost mint patty with thick layer of remaining white frosting. Place 1 of the chocolate candy drops, pointed end down, into frosting; set patty aside.
- Knead together chewy chocolate candies. When completely combined and malleable, roll candy between palms into a rope. Press rope around plastic tumbler; press loose ends together to secure. Gently lift tumbler away from candy. With pastry brush, coat chocolate candy ring with a little corn syrup. Place silver sugar in shallow dish; dip chocolate ring into sugar to coat.
- Remove cake from refrigerator. Peel cake away from paper; place cake on cake board or serving platter. Place eye towards top center of cake. Place silver ring around eye.
- Press 2 chocolate drops into blue portion of cake just under licorice string to create buttons on jumper. Arrange 4-inch piece of licorice onto cake a few inches below eye in a half-curve to create smile. Cut 2 licorice strings into 3-inch pieces; insert into top of cake to create hair. Use more licorice strings to outline jumper.
- Attach plain tip (provided) to Easy Flow icing nozzle. Draw 2 lines of icing about 2 inches apart on either side of silver eye ring. Fill in lines with more black icing; smooth icing with small knife or spatula. Store cake loosely covered.