Grilled Chicken Kebabs with Tzatziki Recipe
Nothing says “America” quite like our Captain America Chip and Dip serving plate. We suggest making this yummy tzatziki recipe and serve it at your next get together - in fact, we think it’s the perfect way to celebrate Memorial Day, when friends and family are over, celebrating the warm weather and the beginning of summer. Throw that party you’ve been planning with our fun chip and dip plate and this refreshingly delicious tzatziki recipe!
What is Tzatziki? It’s another delicious Greek sauce which pairs well as a cold dip with chicken and other meats. As you will see, Tzatziki is really quite simple, made of yogurt mixed with cucumbers, garlic, salt and lemon juice.
Grilled Chicken Kebabs with Tzatziki Recipe Instructions
Chicken kebabs with Tzatziki Recipe
Prep Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 75 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
For the chicken
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 2” pieces
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the rice
- 2 cups basmati rice, rinsed
- 2 3/4 cups water
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grapeseed oil or other neutral oil
- 3 tablespoons consommé powder or 1 bouillon cube
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the tzatziki
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup grated cucumber
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For marinating the checken:
- In a bowl, mix together all the ingredients except chicken.
- Add the chicken; make sure that it is completely covered with the marinade.
- Place it in the fridge and marinate for a minimum of 1 hour. This can also sit overnight.
For the rice:
- Heat the oil in a pot with fitted lid over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and sweat until they are translucent. About 4-5 minutes.
- Add the rinsed rice and stir to coat the rice with the oil and onions.
- Add the water and turn the heat up to high.
- Add the consommé powder and salt. Mix.
- When it comes to a boil, turn the heat down to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and let the rice steam for an additional 10 minutes. Don’t you dare touch that lid.
For the tzatziki:
- Place the grated cucumber in a mesh strainer over a small bowl.
- Sprinkle with the salt. Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Push as much of the water out of it as possible.
- Mix the yogurt, lemon juice, and garlic together in a bowl.
- Add the drained cucumber and mix. Place in the fridge until you’re ready to eat.
Grilling the chicken:
- Heat a grill or grill pan over medium to medium-high heat.
- Make sure you have soaked your skewers for at least 30 minutes if you are using wooden ones.
- Skewer the marinated chicken cubes making sure they aren’t too crowded on the stick.
- Oil the grill so the chicken doesn’t stick.
- Grill the kebabs for 5-6 minutes on one side, flip and grill the other side for 5-6 minutes as well.