Decorate Your Own Valentine Cookies Recipe
Last week, I baked up a bunch of heart shaped sugar cookies and made a simple Strawberry Frosting while the kids were at school. They were shocked when they got home to all the candies, sprinkles, and all the frosting laid out on the table for them to have fun with. I didn’t decorate any of the cookies…the kids did all the work and had a blast. I would, however, recommend an apron for the kids because toward the end it became a free for all with the frosting and toppings. Happy Valentine’s Day!
Decorate Your Own Valentine Cookies Recipe Instructions
sugar cookies with strawberry frosting recipe
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 tube refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 tablespoon (2-3) warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon strawberry extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound confectioners sugar
- Pink and red food colorings
- Preheat oven according to cookie package instructions.
- Prepare a pan with non-stick cookie spray.
- Gently roll out dough, cut with a heart shaped cookie cutter.
- Before removing cutter, use a spatula under the dough and cutter to help move dough to the prepared baking sheet.
- For round cookies, then drop dough onto pan in about 1 1/2 tbls sized scoops. Gently roll each scoop into a loose ball, return to pan.
- Bake according to package.
- Remove from oven baking rack and let cool completely.
- Set aside.
- Beat together butter, shortening, 1 tbsp of warm water, and vanilla extract until smooth and creamy.
- Beat in the sugar gradually on a low setting.
- Scrape sides of bowl as needed. Mixture will be very thick.
- After all sugar is incorporated, add 1-2 more tbsp. of warm water and beat at medium/medium-high speed for 1-2 more minutes.
- Adding more warm water will continue to thin the frosting consistency and bring down the sweetness even more.
- Add as much as you like to get the appropriate flavor and consistency. Be careful because a little goes a long way.
- Pull out about a 1/3 of the frosting to leave white.
- Add strawberry extract and pink food coloring until desired color is reached to remaining frosting.
- Mix until well combined and separate in to two bowls.
- Add red coloring to one bowl and stir. The frosting can also be made several days in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature then mix well before using. Leftovers should be refrigerated.Enjoy!
This post was contributed by Around My Family Table
Wendy from Around My Family Table (http://www.aroundmyfamilytable.com ) is a Stay-at-Home mom to two kids and married to her high school sweetheart! Find great recipes for the whole family on AMFT.