Chocolate Raspberry Zebra Cake Recipe
Fancy-looking cakes rarely ever turn out how they’re photographed -- except for this one. We were pleasantly surprised when the “zebra” stripes popped out as we sliced through the cake, and it certainly delivered on the wow factor! Try your hand at this pretty baked good… You’ll be surprised at how effortlessly easy it is to master!
chocolate raspberry zebra cake recipe instructions
Yield: 8-10 servings
This cake gives you the maximum wow factor for minimum effort - read on to see the easy-to-make recipe!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 base batter
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 base batter
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- Approximately 20 raspberries
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients for the base batter.
- In a second mixing bowl, combine the eggs, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet mix to the dry mix, stirring constantly until smooth.
- Add the milk, and stir until evenly mixed and the consistency is a thick liquid.
- Evenly divide the batter into two separate bowls. Add the cocoa powder to one and the raspberry jam to other. Mix thoroughly.
- In a greased 9-inch cake pan, alternate batters by placing roughly ¼ cup of batter in the center and letting it spread out slightly before adding the other batter (similar to making pancakes). Continue this process until the batter is used up and the pan is full of alternating rings. The batter should fill two cake pans.
- Bake cakes for 25-35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool cakes slightly, and then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a medium pot set over low heat, mix together heavy cream and chocolate until chocolate has melted and mixture is smooth.
- Let mix rest until consistency is thick and mix is cooled.
- Pour ganache over one of the cakes, starting in the middle and circling towards the edges coating it all. Place the second cake on top and pour the ganache on top, letting excess ganache drip down the already coated sides.
- Once ganache is cooled on cake, garnish with fresh raspberries and powdered sugar.