Chocolate Lemon Banana Bread Recipe
If you thought banana bread is just boring variations of the same old recipe—with some telling you that their secret ingredient produces the moistest of cakes—think again. This version combines the tart tang of lemon with the rich indulgence of chocolate—both colliding beautifully together with the sweetness of ripe bananas and the crunch of toasted walnuts. We might be a little bit biased, but we think it’s the perfect combination.
chocolate lemon banana bread recipe instructions
Total Time: 1 hour
What do you get when you combine lemon, chocolate, and bananas? This deliciously moist twist on a kitchen classic, that’s what.
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup walnuts, crumbled
- 2 medium bananas, peeled
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Honey, for topping
- Powdered sugar, for topping
- Preheat your oven to 400° F. Butter a non-stick loaf tin.
- Put all the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl—the flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, baking powder, and walnuts—and mix well.
- In another bowl, mash the bananas with a fork then add the lemon juice and zest, olive oil, sour cream, and eggs and mix well.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients, taking care not to over-mix.
- Pour into the tin and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While the loaf is still warm, top with powdered sugar and drizzle with honey. The bread is delicious on its own as well, or with a hearty topping of nutella or peanut butter.