Chocolate Lemon Banana Bread Recipe
If you thought banana bread is just boring variations of the same old recipe -- with some telling you that their secret ingredient produces the moistest of cakes -- think again. This version combines the tart tang of lemon with the rich indulgence of chocolate -- both colliding beautifully together with the sweetness of ripe bananas and the crunch of toasted walnuts. We might be a little bit biased, but we think it’s the perfect combination.
chocolate lemon banana bread recipe instructions
Total Time: 1 hour
What do you get when you combine lemon, chocolate, and bananas? This deliciously moist twist on a kitchen classic, that’s what.
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup walnuts, crumbled
- 2 medium bananas, peeled
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Honey, for topping
- Powdered sugar, for topping
- Preheat your oven to 400° F. Butter a non-stick loaf tin.
- Put all the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl—the flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, baking powder, and walnuts—and mix well.
- In another bowl, mash the bananas with a fork then add the lemon juice and zest, olive oil, sour cream, and eggs and mix well.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients, taking care not to over-mix.
- Pour into the tin and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While the loaf is still warm, top with powdered sugar and drizzle with honey. The bread is delicious on its own as well, or with a hearty topping of nutella or peanut butter.