Caramelized Sweet Potato and Apple Hash Browns Recipe
This hash brown recipe produces sweet potatoes cooked to perfection, thanks to the combined method of both steaming and frying them on the stovetop. This dish is also paleo-approved, and the perfect side to a variety of dishes!
Prep and serve with these bowls.
caramelized sweet potato and apple hash brown recipe instructions
Yield: 4 servings
Total Time: 25 Minutes
This paleo-friendly breakfast side dish is the perfect combination of sweet and savory!
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 large pink lady apples, diced (peeling optional)
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp ghee or coconut oil - separated
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Heat a large, seasoned cast iron pan over medium heat and add 2 tbsp of the ghee
- Once the pan is heated, add the diced sweet potatoes and sprinkle evenly with the sea salt and stir to coat the potatoes with the cooking fat and salt.
- Cover the pan, using any cover that is large enough, for approximately 2 minutes. Uncover and stir, lower the heat a bit if the potatoes are starting to brown too much. Recover and cook for another 2-4 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
- Uncover the pan and continue to cook, stirring, until the potatoes are light brown all over.
- Add the diced apples plus the 2 tsp ghee and stir to combine.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for another 5 minutes or until the apples and potatoes are brown.
- Once apples and potatoes are browned, remove from heat and stir in the cinnamon