Campfire French Toast Recipe
Summer will be upon us before we can say “strawberry” or find our flip flops. If your family likes to camp or picnic, here is a delicious French toast “baked in foil” recipe. Yummy food is essential to a successful camping trip, and this “beyond yummy” French toast is guaranteed to get the sleepiest little or big camper out of the bag and on with the day ahead. Just wake up and smell the strawberries and toasted pecans. Most of this recipe can be done at home and tucked into the cooler until needed. The egg and milk mixture can be combined at home and put in a sealed container. Strawberries can be cut and sugared as well before embarking into nature. Zak dishes are break resistant, and their cheer and color make eating much more fun. Get rid of paper plates and pack Zak dinnerware.
Campfire French Toast Recipe Instructions
Summer will be upon us before we can say “strawberry” or find our flip flops. If your family likes to camp or picnic, here is a delicious French toast “baked in foil” recipe.
- 1 small loaf cinnamon swirl raisin bread or bread of choice
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup pecan pieces
- 1 pint container fresh strawberries
- Aluminum foil and parchment paper
- Wash strawberries, dice half of the container and slice the other half.
- Wrap the loaf of bread in parchment paper, then in foil loosely so the bread slices fall slightly open.
- Sprinkle the diced strawberries and pecan pieces over the loaf, taking care to sprinkle some between slices; set aside the sliced strawberries for afterwards.
- Combine the eggs, milk, sugar, and spices well with a wire whisk. Pour the mixture over the bread evenly.
- Wrap the foil and parchment paper tighter around the loaf of bread. Wrap tightly with a top piece of foil to ensure no leaks.
- Place over the campfire or grill on low to medium heat for approximately 40 minutes, moving around occasionally to cook evenly. If the bread looks soggy still, cook slightly longer. (This delicious French toast can also be baked in a 375 degree oven for 40 minutes.)
- Remove from heat and let sit for 10 mins before serving topped with sliced strawberries.
This post was contributed by Becky Palmer
Becky Palmer, a recently retired teacher, spent 30 years teaching and has a Masters in Education from Gonzaga University. Currently, Becky enjoys time with her 9 grandchildren and lives in Spokane, WA.