Apple Compote Recipe
What’s more American than apple pie? How about apple compote? Okay, maybe it’s not more American, but it’s at least as American. There are few things better than enjoying some ice cream on a hot day. One of the few things that might be better is enjoying that ice cream with this simple but delicious apple compote. All you will need are some apples and other ingredients you probably already have in your pantry.
For my apple compote, I used a mix of Braeburn and Gala apples because I like their sweetness. Use whatever apples are your favorites.
Let the compote cool before serving. You may have a hard time not just eating the compote as is. I had a few yummy spoonfuls. If you can restrain yourself, it makes the perfect topping for pancakes, oatmeal, or ice cream.
You can refrigerate any extra apple compote, though your probably won’t have any.
Apple Compote Recipe Instructions
apple compote recipe
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 apples peeled, cored and chopped (I used Braeburn and Gala varieties)
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- Dash of cinnamon
- Dash of ground cloves
- Peel, core and chop your apples into small pieces. Place aside.
- In a saucepan, combine water, white and brown sugar, cinnamon and ground cloves.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally until the sugar has dissolved which will take about 5 minutes.
- Add chopped apples to saucepan. Bring to a boil and then turn down the heat and let the mixture simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Let mixture cool and then use to top pancakes, oatmeal or ice cream
This post was contributed by Mess for Less
Vicky has spent 10 years teaching and has a Masters in Early Childhood Education. Currently, vicky is a stay at home mom to three girls, 4 year old twins and a 3 year old. She uses her educational background to create activities that foster learning and fu