In today’s world, so many of us are looking for ways to put delicious meals on our supper table each night, while still staying in a budget. Let’s face it; the grocery bills are not getting any cheaper, and every week it seems the prices keep going higher and higher.ÿ I am always on the lookout for new recipes that my family will enjoy that won’t break the bank.
I love Italian food and pastas are always a huge hit at our house. So when I find ones that can be made with some help from store-bought ingredients, and still be cost effective, I am one happy wife and mother. Many pasta dishes in my recipe box are not that wallet-friendly because some of the components can get a bit pricey. However, this can be made to feed a family of 4 for around $10!!
Seasoned grilled chicken, saut‚ed mushrooms and a creamy sauce make this something you can also feel good about putting in front of your loved ones. After all, any time we can get extra protein and veggies into our kids, it is a greatÿthing!
Now I have a feeling as soon as you read “chicken” you thought “there is no way.” Chicken can be one of the most expensive meats in our grocery carts. But by using pre-grilled chicken strips (found in the fresh meat section) this dish comes together simply and economically. If you are looking for some new ideas for dinner and want to stay on budget, try this pasta tonight!
Chicken and Mushroom Alfredo Pasta Bake Recipe Instructions
Chicken and Mushroom Alfredo Pasta Bake Recipe
- 1 lb. penne pasta
- 1 ( 6oz) package pre-grilled chicken strips, chopped
- 1 (15oz) jar Mushroom Alfredo sauce
- 8 oz fresh button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 TBS butter
- 3/4 c. shredded Parmesan
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat olive oil and butter on medium low heat. Add mushrooms and garlic. Saute until brown, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add chicken and continue cooking for 7 additional minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- When pasta is cooked, drain well and return to pot. Add chicken and mushroom mixture and Alfredo sauce.
- Stir well to combine. Transfer to a greased 9×13 pan.
- In a small bowl combine Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and parsley. Sprinkle on top of pasta. Bake for 30 minutes until heated through and cheese is melted.
Disclaimer: I did not include the cost of “pantry staples” , such as garlic, oil, herbs, salt and pepper in the cost of this meal.