I have been trying to encourage my kids to take more responsibility for themselves and the household. We talked about how we are all members of our family and everyone has to help to take care of the house. A simple place to start to teach these lessons is in the kitchen. My kids have learned how to clear their spot after finishing a meal. They scrape their plate clean and place it in the sink. They are eager and willing to help, so I thought I would increase their responsibility by teaching them to help clean up after cooking. After baking cheddar corn muffins, we worked on some basic rinsing skills at the sink.These cheddar corn muffins are savory and filling and work well for breakfast or as an addition to a meal. I already had all the ingredients at home which is always a plus.
These cheddar corn muffins are savory and filling and work well for breakfast or as an addition to a meal. Keep it fun in the kitchen with Zak Designs Sprinkles Bowls. I normally make a sweeter corn muffin, but decided to add some cheese and decrease the sugar for this recipe. I used regular milk, but these would be great with buttermilk as well.
When we put the corn muffins in the oven to start baking, my kids were ready to leave and go play until the muffins were ready. Not so fast! I mentioned how I would be needing some help to rinse the bowls we used. If you want to have your child help out at the sink here are a few basic guidelines to help things go smoothly.
1. Talk about how water is not used for splashing or being silly when cleaning dishes.
2. Place a sturdy chair or stool next to the sink and stay close by.
3. Make sure there are no breakable items in the sink.
4. Give your child a sponge with soap and allow them to clean non-breakables such as bowls, measuring cups, spoons, etc…
Will they do a perfect job cleaning the items in the sink? No, but they are learning and building good habits. My kids took turns cleaning with a sponge, rinsing and drying. By the time we were done cleaning up, our cheddar corn muffins were done!
Cheddar Cheese Corn Muffins
cheddar cheese corn muffins
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 15-20 minutes
Yield: 12 Muffins
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup of flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar (I used a mix of cheddar and white cheddar)
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, combine corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder, cheddar cheese and salt. Add in beaten egg, sour cream, oil and milk and stir.
- Pour batter evenly to make 12 muffins.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick placed in center comes out clean.