It has been really hot this summer and these treats kept me sane.I love this recipe so much because it takes normal vanilla ice cream to this crazy level of deliciousness that will have your guests asking you to open an ice cream shop. Honestly, the hardest part of the recipe is just not eating all the brittle before you stir it into the ice cream!
For the brittle, start by lining a large baking dish with aluminum foil or parchment paper and laying out about 20 salty crackers in the bottom of the dish. This might sound crazy, but the crackers are nice and crunchy and add some delicious saltiness to the finished ice cream.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. and add the butter and brown sugar to a small pot over medium heat. Stir the butter and sugar together until the sugar dissolves. After a few minutes, the caramel mixture will start to bubble a bit. Just keep stirring it until the mixture is an even consistency and slightly thick.Be careful though as it will burn if you heat it too long.
When the caramel is done, immediately pour it over the crackers and bake the whole thing at 325 degrees for about 10 minutes. This will sort of melt the crackers and caramel together!
When it comes out of the oven, immediately sprinkle with the chocolate chips. The residual heat from the oven will be more than enough to melt the chips. After a few minutes you can spread the chocolate out over the brittle.
While the chocolate is still melted, sprinkle on the crumbled toffee candy bars.
Once everything is assembled in the baking dish, stick the whole thing in the freezer until it’s frozen solid. This will take at least an hour.
Then you can just crumble up the brittle! I like to use a little kitchen mallet to bust it into bits.
Then you can just stir the crumbled brittle into the ice cream. It helps to let the ice cream melt a bit before stirring it in. Again, try not to eat it all before you mix it into the ice cream!
Put your creation in an Ice Cream Tubbie to store or transport.
Then you can just re-freeze the ice cream. I really like the Zak ice cream travel containers. You can freeze them and they keep the ice cream nice and cool if you are taking it to a picnic or something!
Give this mixed ice cream a shot and stay cool!
Brittle Ice Cream Recipe Instructions
brittle ice cream
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 6 Servings
- 2 pints vanilla ice cream
- 20 plain salted crackers
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 Toffee chocolate bars, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a 9×13 baking dish with foil or parchment paper and lay out 20 crackers in the bottom of the dish.
- In a small pot, add the butter and brown sugar together over medium-low heat. Stir regularly as the sugar dissolves. Cook for a few minutes until the mixture is bubbling.
- Once the caramel mixture is a single consistency and has thickened a bit, remove it from the heat and drizzle it over the crackers.
- Bake the caramel and cracker mixture at 325 degrees F. for 10 minutes until the caramel is bubbling and evenly spread over the crackers.
- When the dish comes out of the oven, immediately sprinkle chocolate chips on top and let sit for five minutes. Then spread melted chocolate over the surface of the brittle.
- Crush the toffee bars and sprinkle on top of the chocolate while it is still melted.
- Place the brittle dish in the freezer for at least an hour to freeze solid.
- Remove brittle from freezer and crush it into shards.
- Let the ice cream melt slightly so it is a soft serve consistency and then stir in the crumbled brittle. Return ice cream to the freezer to freeze solid again.
- Transport or store ice cream in the Zak ice cream storage container!