These tasty little buttery, cheesy treats melt in your mouth. Comfort food at its best, with a crunchy top, these mini mac and cheese muffins are truly special.
Kids and adults love them as an hors d’ oeuvre, a midday snack, or as a side dish. They are a great starting finger food for babies ready to embark on the adventure of feeding themselves. Simple to make with the wonderful taste of homemade goodness, you will never want macaroni from a box again.
Baked Mac and Cheese Cupcakes Recipe Instructions
baked mac and cheese cupcakes recipe
- Mini muffin pan
- 1/2 pound elbow or macaroni of choice (colored pasta is fun)
- 2 Tablespoons butter (for lighter version, substitute “I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter”)
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups mozzarella or cheese of choice (sharp cheddar also works well)
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 beaten egg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray the mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Prepare the pasta according package instructions, drain and put aside for later.
- Using a medium size sauce pan, mix the melted butter and flour until smooth. Add milk a little at a time to prevent lumps. Bring this mixture to a simmer.
- Add the cheese, reserving ½ cup for a topping later. Also add the cream cheese and seasoning. Continue stirring until the milk cheese mixture is smooth and slightly thickened. Remove it from the heat.
- In a large confetti Zak! mixing bowl, gently stir the cooked macaroni, sauce, and beaten egg until the pasta is covered evenly.
- Spoon the mac and sauce into individual muffin tins and top each one with a pinch of the reserved cheese. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Muffins are ready if they are golden brown and bubbling.
- Let them rest for 10 or more minutes before removing them from the tin. Savor their cheesy, crisp flavor!